Abstracts of number 2/2019

L’Opera 10 dello sbarramento di Passo Monte Croce Comelico – Vallo Alpino del Littorio (Veneto)

The Opera 10 of the Monte Croce Comelico barrier – Vallo Alpino del Littorio (Veneto, Italy)

Di Daniele Davolio, Alberto Riva, Claudio De Castro

Riassunto

Con il nome di Vallo Alpino del Littorio si intende quel complesso sistema di fortificazioni posto a difesa dei confini nazionali settentrionali, costruito durante gli anni 30 del Novecento a copertura dell’intero arco alpino, dal confine ligure con la Francia all’allora confine Jugoslavo nella Venezia Giulia Istriana. Nelle sole regioni del nord-est Italia, constatata la vetustà delle fortificazioni utilizzate durante la Prima Guerra Mondiale, vennero progettati e realizzati in meno di 5 anni circa 600 tra sbarramenti e bunker di varia grandezza, gran parte di essi realizzati in caverna. Con i suoi 1400 m di sviluppo spaziale interamente ricavati in galleria, l’Opera 10 dello sbarramento di Passo Monte Croce Comelico (Bl) rappresenta la fortezza ipogea più grande e complessa dell’intero Vallo Alpino Settentrionale, posta allora a difesa di una delle più importanti vie di comunicazione tra l’Austria e l’alta Pianura Padana. Con l’entrata in guerra dell’Italia a fianco della Germania nazista nel 1940, i lavori di completamento dell’intero sistema di difesa dei confini nazionali sul versante austriaco vennero sospesi, tanto che la quasi totalità delle opere non venne né allestita né tantomeno armata. Oggi un patrimonio di centinaia di bunker sotterranei, abbandonati da oltre 80 anni, giace dimenticato in ogni regione delle Alpi, in attesa di un qualche improbabile suo riutilizzo.

Abstract

By the name of Vallo Alpino del Littorio we mean the complex system of fortifications built to defend the northern national borders of Italy. They were built during the 1930s to cover the entire Alpine arc from the Ligurian border with France, to the Yugoslav border in the Istrian Venezia Giulia region. It was on the north-eastern border that the major political tensions between fascist Italy and Hitler’s new Nazi Germany were concentrated. This was due to Berlin’s interference in the political course of Vienna and, consequently, on the Italian region of South Tyrol. Due to the mutual mistrust between the two regimes, which lasted until the early 1940s, in the north-eastern regions the Italian army had about 600 barrages and bunkers of various sizes, planned and built in less than 5 years and placed to protect the Italian border with Austria, most of them built in caverns. With its 1400 m of development entirely made in caverns, the Opera 10 of the Monte Croce di Comelico pass (Bl) represents the longest and most complex underground bunker in the Alps, placed to defend one of the most important communication routes between Austria and the Po Valley in Italy. The fortress is built on several levels inside the Croda Rossa mountain in the Sesto Dolomites, and has 4 entrances and 12 positions for machine guns and big guns to cover the Monte Croce Comelico pass. It was equipped with two large dormitories able to accommodate more than 150 soldiers in charge of the structure. In this type of bunker a lot of technological systems, modern at the time, had been envisaged: from complex internal ventilation systems, to groups for the electricity production, to communication systems with the other bunkers beyond the pass. When Italy joined the war as an ally of Nazi Germany in 1940, the work to complete the entire system of defending national borders on the Austrian side was suspended, and, as a consequence, almost all the bunkers were not armed. This led in 1943 to an easy invasion of Italy by the German forces, after the armistice proclaimed on September 8th of the same year. Today a heritage of hundreds underground bunkers, abandoned for over 80 years, lies forgotten in every region of the Alps, waiting for an unlikely re-use of them.

Rock-cut apiaries and underground shelters in Göreme (Cappadocia – Turkey): a link?

Apiari rupestri e rifugi sotterranei a Göreme (Cappadocia – Turchia): un nesso?

Di Roberto Bixio e Sophia Germanidou

Abstract

We know that in Cappadocia, in the centre of Turkey, 20,000 sq.km of tender volcanic tuffs have allowed the populations living here over the centuries to build thousands of structures carved into the rocks that concern all typologies of rock-cut works. In this article the rock-cut apiaries and underground shelters in the limited area of only 4 sq.Km of Göreme, the ancient Byzantine Korama, have been taken into particular consideration. The site is currently considered the heart of Cappadocia for the presence of more than 130 worship structures, including rock-cut churches and refectories, but only 4 shelters and no apiary were known before the speleological investigations of recent years. Today the apiaries identified in the same area are 14 and the shelters 18, some of which are contiguous. Based on the fact that there is a literature in which the use of bees in Asia Minor as biological weapons to defend tunnels in case of siege is attested, we have considered the suggestive hypothesis that, even in the absence of specific sources for the Cappadocia, the vertical traps of Göreme shelters could have been defended in the same way.

Riassunto

Sappiamo che in Cappadocia, una regione storica nel centro della Turchia, 20.000 kmq di teneri tufi vulcanici hanno consentito alle popolazioni qui residenti nel corso dei secoli la realizzazione di migliaia di strutture scavate nelle rocce che riguardano tutte le tipologie delle opere rupestri: dalle residenze alle chiese, dalle opere agricole a quelle idriche, sino alle opere belliche. In questo lavoro vengono presi in particolare considerazione gli apiari e i rifugi sotterranei presenti nell’area circoscritta di soli 4 kmq di Göreme, l’antica Korama bizantina. Il sito viene considerato il cuore della Cappadocia per la straordinaria concentrazione di oltre 130 opere di culto, tra chiese, refettori rupestri e camere funerarie, documentate da numerosi specialisti, a incominciare dalle prime indagini sistematiche di Guillaume De Jerphanion di inizio Novecento e tuttora in corso. Tuttavia, solo 4 rifugi e nessun apiario erano conosciuti prima delle indagini speleologiche degli ultimi anni, che hanno portato in luce anche numerose opere idriche in precedenza non considerate. Oggi gli apiari individuati nella stessa area sono 14 e i rifugi 18, ma si ritiene che ulteriori ricerche possano incrementare tale numero. In questo lavoro vengono descritte le caratteristiche generali di entrambe le tipologie, mettendo in evidenza, per gli apiari rupestri, la presenza di dispositivi per collocare arnie fisse e arnie mobili, queste ultime costituite da cesti tubolari, di cui ancora esistono esemplari in situ. Per quanto riguarda i rifugi sotterranei, oltre alle tipiche massicce porte-macine atte a blindare le camere interne, si rileva che, in diversi casi, la difesa era assicurata per mezzo di angusti pozzi comunicanti con camere soprastanti da cui i difensori potevano agevolmente colpire gli aggressori anche con un semplice lancio di pietre. In base al fatto che esiste una letteratura in cui si attesta nell’antichità l’uso delle api in Asia Minore come armi biologiche per difendere le gallerie in caso di assedio, abbiamo considerato la suggestiva ipotesi che, pur in mancanza di fonti specifiche per la Cappadocia, anche le trappole verticali dei rifugi di Göreme potessero essere difese nello stesso modo, utilizzando le arnie mobili, del tutto adatte per forma e dimensioni ad essere gettate nei pozzi.

Fonticelle: la “nonna” delle miniere di asfalto e bitume d’Abruzzo

Fonticelle: the “grandmother” of asphalt and bitumen mines of Abruzzo (Italy)

Di Gianluca Cassano, Errico Orsini, Marta Di Biase, Federico Palazzese, Fabio Pace

Riassunto

All’interno del bacino minerario della Maiella, adibito all’estrazione di rocce asfaltiche e bituminose tra il 1850 ed il 1960, la miniera di Fonticelle ricopre grande rilevanza storica per la sua longevità. Essa infatti risulta essere, tra le miniere rintracciabili al giorno d’oggi, una delle prime citate storicamente. Questo le ha permesso di attraversare tutte le vicissitudini del bacino minerario: avvicendamento di numerose società alla sua direzione, due guerre mondiali, numerosi incidenti ed eventi avversi legati al territorio. Questa prima fase di ricerca si è svolta nella zona mineraria più facilmente individuabile e con il rilievo dei primi due livelli esplorati. Inoltre, un’approfondita ricerca d’archivio ha dato modo di interpretare i risultati “in situ” ed avviarne una più approfondita comprensione. L’area di Fonticelle risulta però più vasta e può dare ancora molto spazio a ricerche future.

Abstract

Within the Maiella mining basin, which was dedicated to the extraction of asphalt and bituminous rocks between 1850 and 1960, the Fonticelli mine held a great deal of historical significance for its longevity. In fact, it appears to be one of the first historically mentioned among the traceable mines. This has allowed it to cross all the fluctuations of the mining basin: the change of many companies to its management, two World Wars, numerous accidents and adverse events related to the territory. This first research phase took place in the most easily identifiable mining area. With that survey the first two levels were explored. Furthermore, an in-depth archival search has given way to interpret the results “in situ” and led to a much deeper understanding. The area of Fonticelle is however wider and can still provide greater space to future research.

Acquedotto Augusteo della Campania: la diramazione per Nisida ed il Pausilypon

The Campanian Augustean Aqueduct: the Nisida branch and the Pausilypon (Italy)

Di Graziano Ferrari

Riassunto

L’Acquedotto Augusteo della Campania è un’imponente struttura idraulica dell’antichità romana, l’unica a servire numerose città (Nola, Atella, Acerra, Neapolis, Puteoli, Baia, Cuma, Misenum e forse Pompei). Una sua importante diramazione riforniva siti di eccellenza, fra cui l’isola di Nisida, su cui è attestata la villa appartenuta al generale Lucullo e forse la villa del Pausilypon, appartenuta al cavaliere Publio Vedio Pollione ed in seguito allo stesso Ottaviano Augusto. Vengono qui presentate le conoscenze sui tratti noti di tale diramazione e su un segmento inedito lungo oltre 80 m, posto all’interno del Pausilypon. Vengono quindi presentate alcune ipotesi sul tracciato complessivo, ancora in gran parte ignoto, e sui criteri per ulteriori ricerche. Si accenna infine ad alcuni elementi di interesse idraulico presenti nell’area che, alla luce delle conoscenze attuali, non si ritengono pertinenti alla diramazione in esame.

Abstract

The Augustean Campanian Aqueduct was an imposing Roman hydraulic structure, the only one designed to supply many cities (Nola, Atella, Acerra, Neapolis, Puteoli, Baia, Cuma, Misenum and perhaps Pompeii). An important branch supplied very relevant ancient sites, such as the Nisida island, where the Lucullus villa was established, and possibly the Pausilypon villa, owned by the Roman knight Publius Vedio Pollio and later by Emperor Augustus himself. The paper collects the present knowledge about the Nisida branch, whose starting point was reported near the Crypta neapolitana, a 699 m long Roman road tunnel. The Crypta north wall is pierced by 18 manholes, evenly spaced by about 40 m. The manholes connected to the Augustean aqueduct channel parallel to the main tunnel, but most are filled with debris. Near the Crypta western entrance, the Nisida branch departed from the main Augustean aqueduct and it is expected to run along the Northern slopes of the Posillipo ridge, at an estimated 37 m a.s.l. elevation. Some literature references and verbal reports mention still unidentified channels along the expected course. One of them was reached on Sept. 2019 by rope abseiling. A further section was discovered in the XIX century along the Discesa Coroglio road. The expected length of the Nisida branch is about 4,7 km, from the starting point to the end of the Posillipo ridge. Nisida island was possibly reached through an 800 m long channel-bridge. On Nisida, some large water tanks are known. They deserve further research, in order to establish if they were related to the Nisida branch aqueduct. Unfortunately, Nisida is the site of a jail for minors and of military compounds, so access is restricted. Finally, the paper provides details about an unpublished 80 m long aqueduct section located within the Pausilypon villa. However, present information about channel elevations is inconclusive about the actual Pausylipon water supply. Hypotheses about the overall Nisida branch course, still largely unknown, are presented, together with further research suggestions. Some other hydraulic features are mentioned; literature ascribed them to the Nisida branch but we consider them as unrelated.

Büyük Bürüngüz Underground Shelter (Kayseri – Turkey)

Il rifugio sotterraneo di Büyük Bürüngüz (Kayseri – Turchia)

Di Ali Yamaç

Abstract

Despite being the capital of Cappadocia during ancient times, no comprehensive scientific research has been carried out until now in terms of the rock-cut architecture in Kayseri. To fill this deficiency we, as OBRUK Cave Research Group, have started to work for the “Kayseri Underground Structures Inventory Project” in January 2014. This project, carried out based on a triple protocol with Foundation for the Protection and Promotion of the Environment and Cultural Heritage (ÇEKÜL) and Kayseri Metropolitan Municipality, includes the research, survey, mapping and documentation of all the underground structures located in Kayseri territory. This project, covering the entire province with 17,500 sq km area and ongoing for six years, has become very significant and important currently, which was not expected in the beginning, with 46 Byzantine rock-cut churches, 33 underground shelters, 3 underground aqueducts, 10 Assyrian tin mines and 2 cliff-dwelled villages explored, researched and inventoried for the first time by OBRUK Team. The most valuable part of this project carried out in various areas in Kayseri is Koramaz Valley. During our works and studies carried out in Koramaz Valley, the biggest underground shelter explored until now in Kayseri has been found. Different from the touristic well-known Derinkuyu and Kaymaklı underground shelters of Cappadocia, this underground shelter, which has not been dug as different levels and entirely continues horizontally, extends beneath the entire Büyük Bürüngüz Village like a cobweb. In this article, this long and interesting underground shelter, with a total length of 1,273 m and with 27 millstone doors, is explained.

Riassunto

Benché nei tempi antichi Kayseri sia stata la capitale della Cappadocia, sino ad oggi sulle sue architetture rupestri non è ancora stata condotta una indagine scientifica completa. Per colmare questa lacuna, da gennaio 2014, il Gruppo Ricerche Speleologiche OBRUK ha dato inizio alla realizzazione del “Kayseri Underground Structures Inventory Project”. Il progetto, basato su un triplo protocollo con la “Foundation for the Protection and Promotion of the Environment and Cultural Heritage (ÇEKÜL)” e con la “Kayseri Metropolitan Municipality”, prevede l’individuazione, l’esplorazione, la mappatura e la documentazione di tutte le strutture sotterranee collocate nell’area di Kayseri. Le indagini, in corso da sei anni sull’intero territorio della provincia, su una superficie di 17.500 kmq, attualmente sono risultate più consistenti e significative di quanto ci si aspettava all’inizio: infatti, dal Gruppo OBRUK sono stati per la prima volta esplorati, documentati e inventariati innumerevoli siti inediti costituiti da 46 chiese rupestri bizantine, 33 rifugi sotterranei, 3 acquedotti ipogei, 10 miniere di stagno assire, 2 villaggi a parete. Il settore più rilevante del progetto, tra le diverse zone indagate sul territorio di Kayseri, corrisponde alla valle di Koramaz. Nel corso delle nostre ricerche condotte in questa valle è stato individuato il più esteso rifugio sotterraneo sino ad oggi esplorata in Kayseri. A differenza dei rifugi sotterranei di Derinkuyu e Kaymaklı, ben noti in Cappadocia e aperti al pubblico, questo insediamento ipogeo non è stato scavato su differenti livelli, ma si estende completamente in orizzontale, formando una ragnatela sotto l’intero villaggio di Büyük Bürüngüz. Nel presente articolo viene descritto questo interessante reticolo sotterraneo, lungo in totale 1.273 m e dotato di 27 porte-macine.

Nota sulle Miniere di Rame nella Valle del Candigliano (Pesaro-Urbino – Italia)

Note on the Copper Mines in the Candigliano Valley (Pesaro-Urbino – Italy)

Di Enrico Maria Sacchi, Michele Betti, Manlio Magnoni, Michele Magnoni, Massimo Vagnini, Matteo Giordani

Riassunto

La presenza di rame nella Valle del Candigliano è testimoniata sino dal 1400 allorché l’estrazione veniva effettuata per conto dei duchi di Urbino che utilizzavano il minerale per coniare moneta. Numerose, nei secoli, furono le ricerche effettuate per trovare dei giacimenti significativi senza però riuscire ad ottenere i risultati sperati. Le ultime esplorazioni vennero compiute nella seconda metà del 1800 nei monti del Furlo, sul massiccio di Monte Catria e sul Massiccio di Monte Nerone dove il minerale era presente solo negli strati più superficiali delle formazioni geologiche, per cui le ricerche realizzate in galleria non giustificarono le spese sostenute. Il Gruppo Speleologico Urbinate, sulla base delle indagini bibliografiche e di quelle direttamente condotte sul territorio, ha mappato due siti minerari riportando alla luce testimonianze materiali della “corsa al rame” in epoche diverse: il primo, molto antico, situato sulle pendici di Monte Montiego presso l’abitato di Piobbico; il secondo, risalente alla fine del 1800, lungo il fosso della Baiona nel comune di Acqualagna.

Abstract

The presence of copper in the Candigliano Valley is witnessed since the 15th century, when the extraction was carried out on behalf of the Dukes of Urbino who used the mineral to product money. Over the centuries, numerous researches has been carried out to find significant deposits without being able to obtain the desired results. The latest research were carried out in the second half of the 19th century in the Furlo mountains, on the Monte Catria massif and on the Monte Nerone massif where the mineral was present only in the most superficial layers of the geological formations for which the research carried out in the tunnel did not justify the expenses incurred. The Speleological Group Urbinate, based on bibliographic surveys and with surveys directly on the territory, has mapped two mining sites bringing to light direct evidence of the “copper race” in different periods: the first, very ancient, located on the slopes of Monte Montiego near the urban area of Piobbico; the second, dating back to the end of 1800, along the fossa della Baiona in the municipality of Acqualagna.

Rivisitazione di una grotta di epoca bizantina presso il Monte Tabor (Israele)

Revisiting a Byzantine cave at Mount Thabor (Israel)

Di Gianantonio Urbani

Riassunto

Il contributo propone lo studio di una grotta presso la sommità del Monte Tabor, nella pianura di Jizreel/Esdrelon (Israele), di proprietà della Custodia Francescana di Terra Santa, dopo che la cavità naturale, in cui sono presenti molte tracce antropiche, è stata ripulita a seguito di un intervento di risistemazione dell’area per il culto e l’accoglienza dei pellegrini. Nei primi secoli dell’era cristiana il modus vivendi normale era la grotta o cavità di roccia. La grotta, abitata in epoca bizantina tra il V e il VI sec. d.C., conserva ancora un lacerto di iscrizione di colore rosso su intonaco bianco. Il primo studio è stato fatto nel 1975 a cura di Bellarmino Bagatti, frate francescano dell’Ordine dei Frati Minori (OFM), e oggi viene riproposto con alcune note riguardo la morfologia della grotta e una nuova lettura dell’iscrizione posta sul soffitto.

Abstract

The paper proposes the study of a cave on the top of Mount Tabor (Israel) property of Franciscan Custody of Holy Land, after the natural cavity has been cleaned up, following a restoration of the area for the liturgy and reception of pilgrims. The cave was inhabited in the Byzantine period between the fifth and sixth centuries. A.D. still retains a red inscription fragment on white plaster. The first study was done by Bellarmino Bagatti (OFM – Ordo Fratrum Minorum) in 1975 and today is reproposed with some notes regarding the morphology of the cave and confirming the reading of the inscription on the ceiling. The cave is part of a system of natural cavities, with many anthropic adaptations, scattered throughout the area of the top of Mount Tabor. The mountain of Tabor is known in antiquity for the events linked to the Bible and to the Roman presence in which, one of the authoritative witnesses, is Tito Flavio Giuseppe, who talks about it telling the story of the Jewish revolts in the first century. A.D. Subsequently, the area under study was inhabited in all subsequent periods, bringing an extraordinary housing stratification to the present days. Over the centuries, the semi-flat area of the summit was often adapted to places of worship and habitation.